Police kill ‘robber’ in Rohini encounter
- Election Live: Narendra Modi addresses rally in Purnia, attacks Third Front
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- Raj Thackeray warms up to Narendra Modi, lets Sena feel the heat
- Uttar Pradesh BJP wants tickets for four riot-accused MLAs
- Haryana, Gujarat top industry-friendly states, Maharashtra among bottom five
A 31-year-old man, wanted in nine cases, was gunned down in a police encounter in Rohini Sector-17, Outer Delhi, on Wednesday night. This is the second encounter reported in the capital in less than a month.
Police said the man, identified as Mohan Kumar, was killed in retaliatory firing, after he and his associates fired at the police party.
Though the encounter took place in a market, police claimed that there were no eyewitnesses as the market was shut at night.
Police claimed that Mohan's two associates, who were at the spot with him, managed to flee despite three police teams surrounding the vehicle in which the men were travelling in.
According to police, they received a tip-off about the whereabouts of these three while collecting inputs about criminals familiar with local topography.
Police said Mohan, who previously lived in Lodhi Colony, had been involved in several cases in South district. Police received information that that Mohan was recently released from jail and has become active again.
"We got a tip-off that Mohan was coming to Rohini Sector 17 area from Shahbad Dairy to meet his associates. We were told that he would coming in an Hyundai i10. We dispatched teams to nab the accused. Initially, we had sent only one team but, later, two more teams, doing rounds in the same area, were called for help," a senior police officer said.
"Three teams, comprising 15 police personnel were a part of the operation. Officers in four vehicles — a Gypsy, an Innova, an Esteem and a Wagon R— were posted to trap Mohan. The accused apparently got wind of the fact that police have laid a trap. So he changed his vehicle from i10 to a white Scorpio," DCP (South) Chhaya Sharma said.
- Bengal model better than Modi’s Gujarat, says Didi
- Sindhis threaten to move HC if Sindhu Sagar not cleaned
- Three RTI activists whom Kejriwal paid homage are alive
- Poojary wins Mangalore primary
- Short change: Health cover for girl child at 50% discount
- Run with the bulls, don’t lose out to foreign investors again
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress