Police lathicharge crowd at World Cup Kabaddi final
- Ishrat Jahan fake encounter case: Javed Sheikh's father moves CBI court against Amit Shah, ex-DGP; wants them arraigned
- Editors slam Arvind Kejriwal for 'irresponsible' media remark, say it reflects 'intolerant mindset'
- I skipped rally because I was misled: Anna Hazare
- Goa court grants permission to Tarun Tejpal to meet his ailing mother
- Arvind Kejriwal alleges whole media is sold, backtracks later
An overcrowded stadium during the final of the World Cup Kabaddi forced police to resort to mild lathicharge to control the crowd outside the arena on Saturday. The police action, however, was restricted to gate number 5 and 7 at the Guru Nanak Stadium.
The huge rush resulted in many VVIPs, including MLA Darshan Singh Shivalik, being unable to enter the venue despite having passes.
The programme, however, began before schedule but heavy rain cut short the performance of popular singer Sukhwinder. The over all cultural programme lasted over 3 hours and saw a host of performances. Punjabi singer Raja Bath promoted effective action against drug abuse, while anchor Satwinder Singh Satti urged Punjabis to spread the game and Punjabi language.
Bollywood Singer Sukhwinder Singh, who had sung the popular Kabaddi anthem last year, enthralled the crowd with his performance while 23 artistes dazzled the audience with a fire show. Earlier, Padmashree Surjit Pattar stole hearts with his poem on strengthening Indo-Pak relations.
The entire show was focused at attitude of Punjabis and their hobbies. A special slide show was also shown in which contribution of Punjabis in bollywood was also shown. Inderjit Nikku, Nishan Bhullar, other Punjabi singers also performed.