Police obtain handwriting samples of Hasan Ali
- PM in Paris: 'We must create a balance between economy and ecology'
- PM Modi meets Nawaz Sharif at UN climate summit in Paris
- Congress raises Dadri, Kalburgi killing in Lok Sabha; BJP hits back
- Petrol price cut by 58 paise per litre, diesel 25 paise
- India's economic growth accelerates to 7.4 per cent in July-September
Chatushrungi police on Monday afternoon took a handwriting sample from Hasan Ali Khan after the former was granted one-day custody for the purpose in the case of falsification of information for obtaining a passport in 2004.
Khan was produced before the Judicial Magistrate (First Class) K M Pingale, who handed Khan over to Pune police, after hearing the argument put forward by Chatushrungi Police Inspector (Crime) Subhash Nikam. "Though we had questioned him at Arthur Road jail in the past, we couldn't obtain a sample of his handwriting. We need his custody so that a handwriting sample could be obtained."
Later in the evening, Hasan Ali, who is the main accused in a money laundering and tax evasion case, was once again produced before the JMFC court that remanded him in 14-day magisterial custody. He was handed over to an ED escort team from Mumbai to be taken back to Arthur Road jail.
He has to remain in jail so that he can be produced in court for hearing in another case.
A few days ago, a Pune district court had ordered that Chatuhshringi Police be given custody of Khan for investigating the alleged case of furnishing false details for passport.
In a complaint registered in December 2011 by the Pune passport office, Khan was booked under Sections 420 (cheating), 467 (forgery), 468 (forgery for purpose of cheating) of the Indian Penal Code and Sections 10 (3) and 12 (1) of Indian Passport Act.
Nikam said, "In the afternoon we took a sample of his handwriting. It will be matched with his writing on the documents he submitted along with his passport application" Police have also recorded his statement in the case.
Though Nikam refused to divulge any details about the statement, sources said police have asked him about the sequence of events before and after the passport was issued in the presence of Khan's lawyers. "Khan was cooperative during the procedure. As per the court order he was allowed to have food from outside. After he was remanded to magisterial custody, he was taken to Yerawada Central jail and around 8.45 pm he was handed over to the Mumbai escort team to be taken to Arthur Road jail," Nikam added.
- Under General Sharif, Pakistan army is carrying low-intensity war against diversity of opinion
- Framed at BJP’s Diwali milan: Selfie-Made Journalism
- Raja-Mandala: An important shift in India’s climate diplomacy
- My book tries to chronicle a difficult India-Pak peace process
- Ahead of the Paris summit, India has been again targeted as a spoiler
- Shunning coal not viable for India; World needs to come together to make it cleaner