Police phones donít ring a bell
- Sports court tears Narsingh Yadav defence, NADA’s credibility
- Ramya on sedition case: Will not apologise for my Pakistan remark, said nothing wrong
- I can't fight against the government or AFI, but I know the truth: OP Jaisha
- From Rajasthan to Bihar: Tracking floods in north India
- Kashmir unrest: Curfew lifted from parts of Srinagar
He added, "As far as the other phones are concerned, the procedure to procure a new phone connection is very lengthy. First the proposal goes to the home department and then to finance. I will personally follow this matter."
A staffer with a police chowky in Zone III said, "In a day a chowky staffer has to make a large number of calls to the main police station. We are doing this using our cell phones ever since the chowky started."
It may be recalled that about two years ago, former police commissioner Meern Borwankar had started a drive to strengthen the individual police chowkys as basic law and order units. A senior inspector attached to a police station said, "We must not forget that a chowky is even more important than a police station. It is close to people's houses and they know the staffers there. A police chowky without a phone is of no use."
According to an accounts division employee of the Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) said, "Some of the numbers have no phone sets, but have a connection. In some cases, it must be the other way round. Outgoing facility of some Pune police officer's numbers have also been barred, as their bills have not yet been paid."
Why don't they take calls?
Police station Chowkys* Reason
Khadak 7 Bill not paid
Deccan 2 Bill not paid
Warje 4 Bill not paid
- Cow protection, paradoxically, poses a threat to the BJP’s project of Hindu unity
- The government needs to distinguish between crooked NGOs and genuine ones
- India’s quest for Olympic medals is hampered by history and geography
- The Modi government is meeting its development targets before time
- Raja Mandala: The Great Wall of China
- Farm incomes may not revive despite good monsoon