Police say depressed doc tried to shoot psychiatrist
- Solar scam case: Kerala court orders FIR against CM Oommen Chandy
- Supreme Court recalls order appointing former judge Virendra Singh as UP Lokayukta
- Arunachal Governor cited ‘cow slaughter’ protest as one sign of law & order collapse in state
- BJP leader held for alleged cow slaughter in Madhya Pradesh, gets expelled from party
- Indian-American Muslims flay Government move against AMU, Jamia
A doctor, who police said is suffering from depression, attempted to shoot a psychiatrist in the OPD of a private hospital in Sahibabad, Ghaziabad, on Thursday afternoon.
Dr Kiran Pal, who has been arrested, had gone to consult psychiatrist Dr Sanjeev Gupta claiming he needed treatment for anxiety and stress, police said.
Superintendent of Police S S Yadav said Dr Pal complained of breathlessness and anxiety, and while Dr Gupta was checking him, he drew a pistol and attempted to shoot the psychiatrist.
According to Yadav, Dr Pal has claimed that he is suffering from depression because his divorce proceedings are underway. Dr Pal alleged that Dr Gupta, who knows his in-laws, had injected him with a "slow-acting poison".
Police said no one was injured since the hospital staff managed to overpower and disarm Dr Pal.
"The hospital staff hit Dr Pal with a fire extinguisher and also sprayed it on his face," Yadav said. Police said Dr Gupta denied the allegation of poisoning Dr Pal.
Yadav said: "Dr Gupta was going to check Dr Pal's pulse and blood pressure when the latter took out a gun and pointed it at Dr Gupta's head."
But the gun got stuck and Dr Pal could not shoot. "Dr Gupta ran out of the OPD and locked the accused inside. The accused managed to reload his gun and fired into the wall," Yadav said. "He is mentally unstable and has been suffering from a psychological ailment for a while," he said.
- Dalit scholar’s death exposed inability of casteist Hindu to be modern
- Annotated edition of Hitler's Mein Kemph
- Why yuan matters Indian equity markets
- R-day and the saccharine sweet patriotism
- It is clear PM’s concept of nationhood extends beyond constitutional parameters
- The sensitive and old controversy about the minority character of AMU