Police station ransacked
- Kashmir floods LIVE: Many feared dead as houses collapse in Budgam district
- ‘Mukhyamantri ka saala’ is a story of growth in Chhattisgarh
- AAP removes Ramdas as Lokpal, Bhushan from disciplinary panel
- Ahmed Patel, seen and heard like never before
- Retd Lt Gen says will write to Chief about Army role in Hashimpura
Mob ransacked Nadial police station in South 24-Parganas on Thursday after police asked the locals to turn down the volume of loudspeakers at a function last night. Loudspeakers were playing at high volume at a religious function at Waris Nagar under Nadial police station late on Wednesday night. "We had received an order from our control office. People at the function did not say anything last night but this morning, at around 11 am, over 1,000 people of the locality came and demanded under whose order the loudspeakers were asked to be stopped. When we were trying to explain, they suddenly started ransacking the police station," said police.
Commotion continued till 4 pm. The violent mob then blocked road. Police had to resort to lathicharge and fired tear gas shells to disperse the crowd. RAF was deployed to tackle the situation. Seven people were arrested in the connection. Situation was brought under control at around 7 pm.