Police station ransacked
- Malaysia Airlines plane may have turned back before vanishing, says Air force chief
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress
- Varanasi seat row: RSS worried but believes BJP will solve it
- Subrata Roy arrest row: The not-so-beautiful story
- Vajpayee wanted Modi to quit over Gujarat riots, but party said no: Venkaiah Naidu
Mob ransacked Nadial police station in South 24-Parganas on Thursday after police asked the locals to turn down the volume of loudspeakers at a function last night. Loudspeakers were playing at high volume at a religious function at Waris Nagar under Nadial police station late on Wednesday night. "We had received an order from our control office. People at the function did not say anything last night but this morning, at around 11 am, over 1,000 people of the locality came and demanded under whose order the loudspeakers were asked to be stopped. When we were trying to explain, they suddenly started ransacking the police station," said police.
Commotion continued till 4 pm. The violent mob then blocked road. Police had to resort to lathicharge and fired tear gas shells to disperse the crowd. RAF was deployed to tackle the situation. Seven people were arrested in the connection. Situation was brought under control at around 7 pm.