Police to train women recruits, college girls in self-defence
- EC issues show cause notice to Mulayam Singh Yadav for violation of poll code
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7: KXIP chase 206, beat CSK by six wickets
In view of the increasing incidents of violence against woman, the Pune city police have decided to train its female officers, and also college-going girls, in karate and other self-defence techniques. Police Commissioner Gulabrao Pol said the training for new female recruits would begin in January 2013 at the police headquarters in Shivajinagar.
"Those college girls who want themselves to be trained can also join. They should contact the office of the assistant commissioner of police at the headquarters for details," Pol told mediapersons on Wednesday.
Besides, the Pune police also held meetings of senior officers to take a review of cases of violence against women in the city and instructions have been given to all police stations to increase patrolling around colleges to prevent incidents of eve-teasing.
"We have asked all police stations to increase patrolling around colleges in their jurisdictions, especially when the college hours begin and end. We have also asked our cops to increase interaction with college principals and hostel rectors. We would also watch places like bus stands and stern action would be taken against anyone found troubling women," said Pol.
"We want women to come forward and lodge complaints if they are being harassed. Our mahila dakshata committees would be strengthened by including counsellors. Also, NGO representatives, local political leaders, reputed advocates and teachers would be called for meetings of the committees," he added.
In 2012, Pol said, eight women had been murdered till now — four of them for dowry. In 12 cases, attempts have been made to kill women for dowry. Besides, as many as 42 women committed suicide in the city due to dowry harassment. There were 61 cases of rapes and 43 of abductions, apart from 162 cases of domestic violence, 85 cases of molestation and 51 of eve-teasing.
- As EC website crashes due to overload, party workers use apps to locate voters
- An entire society in Kothrud could not vote
- Chaos, anger across city over missing names
- Mulayam pushes third front, says will stake claim to PM post
- Don’t look at my candidates, votes for me: Maya to Dalits
- AAP biggies focus on Vishwas, Kejri seats, other units suffer