Policeman arrested for abusing sex workers
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured in road accident in Jaipur; one dead
- Fadnavis rubbishes reports of flight delay, threatens to take legal action
- Madrasas to be de-recognised in Maharashtra; Congress calls the move unconstitutional
- Rs 526 crore for AAP govt publicity; Congress asks is it to purchase media
- Fearing action, 1400 primary teachers with fake degree resign in Bihar
A head constable was today arrested in connection with the alleged sexual abuse of commercial sex workers, police said.
Waman Naik, a head constable with Goa police, along with another head constable Santosh Vengurlekar and constable Vijay Gaikwad, was suspended on December 6 last year after two commercial sex workers filed a complaint with the crime branch that the police personnel had exploited them.
The sex workers had alleged that they were sexually abused by the policemen in return of protection to their business and they also tried to extort money from them in 2010-11.
Naik was arrested after being produced before the Goa bench of Bombay High Court, where he had filed the anticipatory bail petition.
"As the petition was supposed to be heard today, he came to withdraw it along with his lawyer and surrendered," police inspector (crime branch) Sunita Sawant said.
Naik would be produced before the court tomorrow to seek his remand as his custodial interrogation is required, Sawant added.