Politics to ministry work, Bansal picks family first
- In Dadri, BJP's Sangeet Som accuses UP govt of framing innocent men for lynching incident
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says doctor
- Shashank Manohar unanimously elected as new BCCI president
- Non-declarants of foreign assets to be tried under black money law: FM
- Bihar polls: 130 candidates with serious criminal charges to contest in first phase
Be it his political affairs or ministerial duties, Union Railways Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal is known to rely on his relatives, choosing them for key positions.
For instance, his sister's son-in-law Vitul Kumar, an IPS officer, is currently Bansal's OSD (officer on special duty) in the Railways Ministry. Kumar was with Bansal during his earlier stints in the Finance Ministry and the Ministry of Water Resources also. Another person who has been with Bansal in all the three ministries is Punjab cadre IAS officer Rahul Bhandari, known to be his close confidant.
During the 2009 LS polls, when Bansal won from Chandigarh, his nephew, Rajesh Bansal, was his election agent. His other nephew, Vijay Singla, who was arrested last week, would organise meetings of Chandigarh-based industrialists during the run-up to the polls.
Bansal's wife, Madhu, who was his covering candidate in 2009, looks after his constituency and holds meetings of the party's municipal councillors. She was involved in the revamp of the Chandigarh railway station as well.