Politics to ministry work, Bansal picks family first
- Obama rules out putting US troops on ground to fight Islamic State
- Heavy rainfall floods Tamil Nadu, rail, road services badly hit; 71 killed so far
- Azam Khan's remarks on Paris attacks spark row, BJP demands action
- French officials identify Belgian national as suspected mastermind
- Awards recognition of talent, they should be cherished: Prez
Be it his political affairs or ministerial duties, Union Railways Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal is known to rely on his relatives, choosing them for key positions.
For instance, his sister's son-in-law Vitul Kumar, an IPS officer, is currently Bansal's OSD (officer on special duty) in the Railways Ministry. Kumar was with Bansal during his earlier stints in the Finance Ministry and the Ministry of Water Resources also. Another person who has been with Bansal in all the three ministries is Punjab cadre IAS officer Rahul Bhandari, known to be his close confidant.
During the 2009 LS polls, when Bansal won from Chandigarh, his nephew, Rajesh Bansal, was his election agent. His other nephew, Vijay Singla, who was arrested last week, would organise meetings of Chandigarh-based industrialists during the run-up to the polls.
Bansal's wife, Madhu, who was his covering candidate in 2009, looks after his constituency and holds meetings of the party's municipal councillors. She was involved in the revamp of the Chandigarh railway station as well.
- Responses to Mumbai, Paris attacks were strikingly different. But India has learnt since
- Tipu Sultan: Revisionist overlook his bigotry, contemporaries saw nothing else
- True successors of Gandhi-Nehru
- Raja-Mandala: The final burial of non-alignment
- Modi in Britain: Beyond a reiteration of good intentions, little was achieved
- The government’s version of the uniform civil code must be debated publicly