Politics to ministry work, Bansal picks family first
Be it his political affairs or ministerial duties, Union Railways Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal is known to rely on his relatives, choosing them for key positions.
For instance, his sister's son-in-law Vitul Kumar, an IPS officer, is currently Bansal's OSD (officer on special duty) in the Railways Ministry. Kumar was with Bansal during his earlier stints in the Finance Ministry and the Ministry of Water Resources also. Another person who has been with Bansal in all the three ministries is Punjab cadre IAS officer Rahul Bhandari, known to be his close confidant.
During the 2009 LS polls, when Bansal won from Chandigarh, his nephew, Rajesh Bansal, was his election agent. His other nephew, Vijay Singla, who was arrested last week, would organise meetings of Chandigarh-based industrialists during the run-up to the polls.
Bansal's wife, Madhu, who was his covering candidate in 2009, looks after his constituency and holds meetings of the party's municipal councillors. She was involved in the revamp of the Chandigarh railway station as well.
Bansal's younger son, Manish, a lawyer, is also actively involved in constituency work. Some months back, he came out in support of marble traders who were illegally occupying prime land on the outskirts of Chandigarh. The Chandigarh administration then stopped its demolition drive.
- Neemu Bhoumik seeks LS entry; people’s issues, Raiganj roots in mind
- Another Bittu, Simerjit file papers as Independents
- Firing at district food and civil supplies office, one injured
- Day after stand-off with EC, Didi vows ‘revenge’ over ‘insult’ by Delhi
- ‘Hate’ speech: Amit Shah moves HC for stay on arrest, quashing of FIRs
- Adarsh Shastri ‘covers’ for AAP’s Jaaferi