Poll day firing: Shehra MLA’s bail plea rejected
- His hands tied, PM surrendered to Sonia: ex-media adviserâs book
- How can Modi honour women if he canât mention his wife, asks Rahul
- Mewat simmers after poll clash, killing of Muslim youth
- After rare skull surgery at AIIMS, twins from Kerala look like each other
- For hate speech, EC orders UP not to let Amit Shah, Azam campaign
A Godhra court on Tuesday rejected the bail plea of Shehra MLA Jetha Bharwad, following which he will remain lodged at the Godhra sub-jail in judicial custody. Bharwad is accused of firing at a mob near a poll booth at Tarsang village during Assembly elections last month.
Bharwad had moved the local court with plea for bail a day after the court rejected the anticipatory bail plea on December 28.
Rejecting his bail plea, the court of judge D T Soni observed that one of the four persons who were injured in the firing on December 17, the day of the second phase of the Assembly elections, is still hospitalised, and charges on him are serious, including an attempt to murder under section 307 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), and use of arms, said public prosecutor A A Hasan.
The court observed it was a matter of concern that an MLA took law into his own hand, and also that his plea that he fired in self-defence does not stand scrutiny, Hasan added.
The court said Bharwad should remain under custody as the investigation in the case was still on.
Bharwad was arrested in the firing incident at Tarsang village in Shehra constituency and the investigations have been handed over to CID (Crime). While under detention following the incident, he had fled from a private hospital in Ahmedabad.
- Under attack over rape remark, SP chief Mulayam Yadav blames media
- JD(S) releases manifesto, vows to protect interests of state
- Ambareesh returns, says will sort ‘minor differences’
- Sagar Ghosh killing: Breather for DGP as HC stays single bench order
- Face of Gujarat riots is face of BJP: Mamata
- Cong seeks action against Advani on ‘wrong’ info in affidavit