Pooja Bhatt receives obscene threat calls
- Media running 'false' news to tarnish Vasundhara Raje's image: CM office
- NIA says no 'issuance of inappropriate briefing by any officer'
- ‘Emergency one of India’s darkest periods,’ says PM Modi
- Lakhvi release: Pak says India politicising UNSC sanctions committee
- AAP unveils Rs.41,129 crore Delhi's 'Swaraj' budget
Actor-producer Pooja Bhatt on Wednesday reported receiving threat calls by a man using obscene language, following which the Bandra police registered a complaint against unknown persons. A missed call from the same cellphone number was also found by her father filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt on his cellphone.
Police said Pooja visited the police station on Wednesday afternoon to inform them about the call. She reportedly told police that a person had been calling from an unknown number throughout Tuesday and making threats using abusive language. The calls continued till late on Tuesday night, police said.
Pooja called her father, filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt, on Tuesday night and informed him about the harassment. Bhatt later found a missed call from the same number to his cellphone as well.
"I did get a call but did not answer it. However, from what Pooja told me, this goes far beyond a crank call by a star-struck fan. It is obviously an attempt at harassment by someone who does not like the stand we have taken on some issue or the other," said Bhatt, when contacted.
Bandra police registered a complaint against unknown persons under sections 507 (criminal intimidation) and 509 (insulting modesty of a woman) of the Indian Penal Code.
"We have the number from which the call was made. It is a cellphone number and we are trying to trace it," said Deputy Commissioner of Police Pratap Dighavkar, Zone 9.
Pooja Bhatt could not be reached for her comment despite repeated attempts. On Tuesday, she tweeted, "Have been getting threatening/obscene calls. The male voice, obviously inebriated, abused me and threatened to come over."