Poona Hospital conducts city’s first dissolvable stent implant
- Coal scam: SC stays summons for Ex-PM Manmohan Singh, P C Parakh, K M Birla
- Leave Delhi: That’s what doctors are prescribing to patients with serious respiratory ailments
- Poster girl of India's tobacco battle Sunita Tomar dies
- Re-promulgation of land ordinance with 9 changes gets Cabinet nod
- Panic spreads as more rain forecast for Valley today
Dr Suhas Hardas says the stent disappears from the artery within 14 to 18 months due to which the typical behaviour of an artery is maintained
City's first implantation of bio-absorbable vascular scaffold (BVS) was conducted at Poona Hospital & Research Centre recently. Cardiologist Dr Suhas Hardas and his team performed the procedure of implanting the latest stent into the patient.
Dr Hardas said the new stent, which is very expensive, is completely bio-absorbable and the metal completely disappears from the artery within 14 to 18 months due to which the typical behaviour of an artery (vasmotor activity) is maintained. "There is no metal and therefore it is completely MRI safe. There is no need for long term anti-platelet drug to be given or administered to the patient and therefore a small possibility or the disadvantage of hemorrhage is ruled out when a person has this stent," said Hardas.
Dr Hardas said that these stents are sold currently at a premium and are not within the reach of a common man. "Therefore, for the time being we are reserving this for people who can afford it but over a period of time the chances are that the cost will come down" added Hardas. The patient who underwent this implantation is doing well from cardiac point of view and has been discharged.