Pope's first tweet matches Angelus call: 'Pray for me'
- Obama rules out putting US troops on ground to fight Islamic State
- Heavy rainfall floods Tamil Nadu, rail, road services badly hit; 71 killed so far
- Azam Khan's remarks on Paris attacks spark row, BJP demands action
- French officials identify Belgian national as suspected mastermind
- Awards recognition of talent, they should be cherished: Prez
Pope Francis issued his first tweet today shortly after performing his first Angelus prayer, with a consistent message: "Pray for me.
"Dear friends, I thank you from my heart and ask you to continue to pray for me," the Argentine pope tweeted from the @Pontifex account.
The first Latin American pope made the same appeal when he appeared a few minutes earlier before more than 1,50,000 people massed in St Peter's Square for his first Angelus prayer.
"Thank you for your welcome, and for your prayers," Francis said. "Pray for me."
The Vatican used the papal Twitter account shortly after Francis's surprise election last Wednesday to tweet "Habemus Papam Franciscum" (We Have Pope Francis).
- Responses to Mumbai, Paris attacks were strikingly different. But India has learnt since
- Tipu Sultan: Revisionist overlook his bigotry, contemporaries saw nothing else
- True successors of Gandhi-Nehru
- Raja-Mandala: The final burial of non-alignment
- Modi in Britain: Beyond a reiteration of good intentions, little was achieved
- The government’s version of the uniform civil code must be debated publicly