Poppy seeds are nutritious, but don’t eat too many
- 12 players, three new teams, IPL officials and owners named in secret report to SC
- Whoâs probing IM? NIA, Delhi Police stories different: HC
- Modi Pak, US dono ko thhokega: BJP S Delhi candidate
- In Cong bastion Nandurbar, you can sense straws in shifting wind
- Doubts surface over murdered Qateelâs âconfessionâ to police
Poppy seeds are kidney-shaped, and have a blue-gray colour and are used in various baked goods, salad dressings and West Asian cuisine. Poppy seeds have a crunchy texture and are a good source of protein, fibre, calcium, fat and minerals. These tiny seeds are very nutritious.
All parts of the plant, including poppy seeds, carry opium alkaloids, especially morphine and codeine. This means that eating foods such as muffins, breads or dishes that contain poppy seeds, can result in a false positive for opiates in a drug test.
According to the Mayo Clinic's publication Urine Drug Screening: Practical Guide for Clinicians, a study on poppy seed cookies showed a positive test result for opiates up to two hours after eating. A separate study on poppy seed bagels showed positive drug test results up to one day after ingesting the food.
A serving of whole poppy seeds is 2 tablespoons, which has 92 calories, equivalent to 13 almonds. Poppy seeds are a good source of protein as 2 tablespoons have 3.17 g of protein which is equivalent to a tablespoon of pulses. Poppy seeds are a good source of dietary fibre. As much as 100 g raw poppy seeds provide 19.5 g or 50 per cent of recommended daily levels (RDA) of fibre. A 2-tablespoon serving of poppy seeds provides 3.4 g of fibre, which is almost four times the amount of fibre in a single chapati. Dietary fibre helps lower cholesterol levels, regulate insulin and blood glucose concentrations, promote gastrointestinal health and prevent constipation. Poppy seeds are a concentrated source of specially polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, which help lower cholesterol levels.
Among minerals, calcium stands out exceptionally high. Just 2 tablespoons of poppy seeds provide 253 mg of calcium, as much as a cup of milk (243 mg). This means that thandai, a mixture of milk, poppy seeds and almonds is a valuable source of calcium and can help boost bone health. Other nutrients include iron, zinc and Vitamin B1, folate and Vitamin E.
- Panel points out holes in report on trees cut, writes to civic chief
- Man who made hoax calls to Jet Airways acquitted
- Metro not quite a vote puller for people in areas it runs
- Stir ends, BEST postpones new work schedule to June 1
- RBI banks on Bandhan, trusts Kolkata NBFC with rare licence
- Gujarat to SC: Woman knew of snooping, was thankful