Poppy seeds are nutritious, but don’t eat too many
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Poppy seeds are kidney-shaped, and have a blue-gray colour and are used in various baked goods, salad dressings and West Asian cuisine. Poppy seeds have a crunchy texture and are a good source of protein, fibre, calcium, fat and minerals. These tiny seeds are very nutritious.
All parts of the plant, including poppy seeds, carry opium alkaloids, especially morphine and codeine. This means that eating foods such as muffins, breads or dishes that contain poppy seeds, can result in a false positive for opiates in a drug test.
According to the Mayo Clinic's publication Urine Drug Screening: Practical Guide for Clinicians, a study on poppy seed cookies showed a positive test result for opiates up to two hours after eating. A separate study on poppy seed bagels showed positive drug test results up to one day after ingesting the food.
A serving of whole poppy seeds is 2 tablespoons, which has 92 calories, equivalent to 13 almonds. Poppy seeds are a good source of protein as 2 tablespoons have 3.17 g of protein which is equivalent to a tablespoon of pulses. Poppy seeds are a good source of dietary fibre. As much as 100 g raw poppy seeds provide 19.5 g or 50 per cent of recommended daily levels (RDA) of fibre. A 2-tablespoon serving of poppy seeds provides 3.4 g of fibre, which is almost four times the amount of fibre in a single chapati. Dietary fibre helps lower cholesterol levels, regulate insulin and blood glucose concentrations, promote gastrointestinal health and prevent constipation. Poppy seeds are a concentrated source of specially polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, which help lower cholesterol levels.
Among minerals, calcium stands out exceptionally high. Just 2 tablespoons of poppy seeds provide 253 mg of calcium, as much as a cup of milk (243 mg). This means that thandai, a mixture of milk, poppy seeds and almonds is a valuable source of calcium and can help boost bone health. Other nutrients include iron, zinc and Vitamin B1, folate and Vitamin E.
- Live: Kejriwal does a U turn, urges people to come in largeÂ numbers
- Women competent enough, they need opportunities, saysÂ Rahul
- â€˜Modi has a majoritarian, authoritarian attitudeâ€¦ such a policy and style of govt would be a disaster for thisÂ countryâ€™
- â€˜Narmada water not reaching farmers for want of minor canalsâ€™ | The Indian Express