Poppy seeds are nutritious, but don’t eat too many
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Commonly known as khas khas and an integral part of the Indian spice rack, these seeds are used in different ways in different parts of the country. Ground white seeds are used to thicken sauces and curries. Poppy seeds are widely used in cuisines of Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Bengal, Orissa and Kerala. In Bengal, aloo posto contains poppy seeds.
Consumption of poppy seeds is considered safe, but large quantities can cause nausea, dizziness and hallucinations. It may also conflict with certain medicines.
Pregnant and lactating women should restrict consumption of poppy seeds to small quantities.
Ishi Khosla is a former senior nutritionist at Escorts. She heads the Centre of Dietary Counselling and also runs a health food store. She feels that for complete well-being, one should integrate physical, mental and spiritual health. According to her: "To be healthy should be the ultimate goal for all."
- Live: Kejriwal does a U turn, urges people to come in largeÂ numbers
- Women competent enough, they need opportunities, saysÂ Rahul
- â€˜Modi has a majoritarian, authoritarian attitudeâ€¦ such a policy and style of govt would be a disaster for thisÂ countryâ€™
- â€˜Narmada water not reaching farmers for want of minor canalsâ€™ | The Indian Express