Poppy seeds are nutritious, but donít eat too many
- Sheena Bora murder case: Third accused Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police
- 3 civilians dead, nearly a dozen injured in Pakistan firing in J&K
- Nitish Kumar's Arvind Kejriwal symbolism looks good but unease in allies RJD, Congress
- OROP row: Veterans reject govt offer, boycott 1965 golden jubilee celebrations
- Patidar protest: HC directs CID to investigate custodial death of Patel youth
Commonly known as khas khas and an integral part of the Indian spice rack, these seeds are used in different ways in different parts of the country. Ground white seeds are used to thicken sauces and curries. Poppy seeds are widely used in cuisines of Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Bengal, Orissa and Kerala. In Bengal, aloo posto contains poppy seeds.
Consumption of poppy seeds is considered safe, but large quantities can cause nausea, dizziness and hallucinations. It may also conflict with certain medicines.
Pregnant and lactating women should restrict consumption of poppy seeds to small quantities.