Poppy seeds are nutritious, but donít eat too many
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition stable, must have consumed some tablets, says doctor
- Why is PM Modi silent on Dadri lynching? asks Opposition
- 'Arrogant' Nitish will return the money I will give for Bihar: Modi at Banka rally
- Terming Gandhi his 'inspiration', PM Modi bats for saving environment
- India's climate change goals - ambitious but achievable
Commonly known as khas khas and an integral part of the Indian spice rack, these seeds are used in different ways in different parts of the country. Ground white seeds are used to thicken sauces and curries. Poppy seeds are widely used in cuisines of Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Bengal, Orissa and Kerala. In Bengal, aloo posto contains poppy seeds.
Consumption of poppy seeds is considered safe, but large quantities can cause nausea, dizziness and hallucinations. It may also conflict with certain medicines.
Pregnant and lactating women should restrict consumption of poppy seeds to small quantities.