Population of elderly to touch 100 mn mark
- LIVE: Lok Sabha passes Telangana Bill, Jagan calls for bandh across Andhra Pradesh
- Your ministers used to throw dust, now they're using pepper spray to fool people: Modi to Cong
- Rajiv Gandhi's killers get relief, Supreme Court commutes death penalty to life
- Seven Naxals killed in police encounter in Gadchiroli
- Interim Budget 2014: Economy headache for next government
The population of elderly people in the country is increasing at a phenomenal rate and is expected to reach the 100 million mark by 2013, government told the Lok Sabha today.
In a written reply to the House, Health and Family Welfare Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said, "The Population Projection made by Technical Group on Population Projections indicated that 100 million mark is expected to be reached in 2013."
The projection made by the United Nations has indicated that India will have 198 million people aged 60 and above. By 2050, the figure will reach 326 million, Azad said.
On steps taken to ensure medical facilities for the elderly, he said, "Government has launched the National Program for Health Care of Elderly (NPHCE) in 2010-11 to address health related problems of elderly people."
The major components of the NPHCE during 11th Five Year Plan were establishment of dedicated hospitals for elderly and creating Department of Geriatric at identified medical centres.
"Funds have been released to eight Regional Geriatric Institutions and 91 districts in 20 states," he said.
Government also plans to construct 30-bedded Department of Geriatric in eight identified Regional Medical Institutions in different regions of the country.
In reply to a question on "unsafe abortions", the Minister said, "As per the estimates published by researchers from Guttmacher Institute, New York and WHO in the Lancet in Jan 2012, unsafe abortions constitute 65 per cent of the total abortions in the South Central Asian sub-region."
Estimates of the proportion of unsafe abortions are not provided separately for India which is one of the countries in this sub-region, he said.
- ‘Job target now hinges on manufacturing’
- Murder of Sahu siblings: Court says convict to be in jail for ‘the rest of his life’
- Inauguration drama: Amid BJP’s boos and barbs, mayor stars in second act
- Police’s grievance cell flooded with complaints from cops, 15 in past year
- NDA lodges FIR after cadet goes missing, he returns to tell cops he missed family
- Allow us to install gates at Narmada dam, you take credit: Modi to Centre