Post 9/11 drama
- Lok Sabha elections: First phase of polling ends, Assam records 72 pc voting, Tripura 80 pc
- Modiâs mark on BJP manifesto
- Possible signals from lost jet's black boxes heard
- Revenge remark: EC issues notice to Amit Shah
- April 7 Campaign roundup: BJP talking of minority welfare is like Dracula heading blood bank, says Congress; AAP will not even win a single seat in LS polls, says Kalyan Singh
After nearly eight years since he was declared missing in action and eventually perceived dead, US Marine Sergeant Nicholas Brody is found in the captivity of al-Qaeda during a raid by American soldiers in Iraq. He is rescued and brought back home as a war hero. While he struggles to fit into family life and work, CIA counter-terrorism officer Carrie Mathison suspects al-Qaeda "turned" him and Brody is now a threat to American security.
After the 9/11 attacks on the US, terrorism began to feature often as a theme on American television. But Homeland has emerged as one of the most popular series on recent television that addresses the subject. A psychological thriller that went on air in the US in 2011, it follows Carrie and Brody as they lock horns. "Carrie and Brody's conflict forms the focus of the first season but it is their past that provides the drama and engages the audience," says Alex Gansa, co-producer of the show alongside Howard Gordon. The duo is known also for their popular television series 24.
The Emmy and Golden Globe awards-winning show has since had a second season that went on air in the US and its third has been announced for this year. While, in India, the show already has a following through pirated versions available online, Star World has decided to cater to this growing number of followers. The first season of Homeland will premiere in India as a daily on January 16 and will be on air Monday to Friday at 11 pm. While the drama and tension in the show keeps viewers hooked, the nuanced performances lend a touch of reality to the characters. Claire Danes (she played Juliet in Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet and the title role of Temple Grandin in an eponymous series) is the edgy, paranoid Carrie. Brody is portrayed by Damian Lewis (Soames Forsyte in The Forsyte Saga and Major Richard Winters in Band of Brothers). Morena Baccarine is his wife Jessica, torn between her husband and her lover — also his colleague and friend — Mike Faber (Diego Klattenhoff).
- Bukhari’s brother, Jawwad ask Muslims to boycott BJP, Cong
- EC issues notice to Shah: ‘Explain revenge remarks’
- HC questions cops silence on Anubrata Mondal hate speech
- Tonight in Delhi, an evening of style and class with Kevin Pietersen
- Vasectomy cases record steep decline since 2010
- D K Pathak takes charge as new chief of BSF