Post No-trust motion, the sound bites
- Sahara case: Hearing deferred in SC, Subrata Roy to remain in jail
- Purnia rally: Modi takes a dig at Nitish, says his PM dream was reason for break up of alliance
- Still no sign of Malaysia Airlines jet lost in "unprecedented mystery"
- DMK denies ticket to Alagiri; Raja, Maran get renomination
- Coal scam: SC directs CBI to file five charge sheets by Mar 28
After the Trinamool Congress' much-hyped move to bring a no-confidence motion against the UPA II government in Lok Sabha fizzled out as it failed to muster the support of the required 50 MPs, reactions from political parties were critical of Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
Congress: It's a joke
Congress MP Deepa Dasmunsi and now a minister in the Union cabinet termed it as "a joke on democracy". "It's a joke on democracy. Any party can move a no-confidence motion but they must understand that there is a basic requirement. If that is not met, the whole thing becomes ridiculous. The outcome also proved that no other party has faith on the Trinamool," she said. Another arch rival of Mamata, Congress minister Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury called it as childishness on the part of Mamata. "She had a huge face loss in the state and now she is pulling these stunts to be in news at the national level. All this at the cost of putting the state in a very poor light," he said.
CPM politburo member Biman Bose termed Mamata's failure as another example of her acting on whims and fancies without applying mind. "It is the product of a thoughtless mind. Her shortsightedness is making the Chief Minister a laughing stock in the national arena," Bose said.
BJP: Diverting focus
BJP Bengal unit president Rahul Sinha said the entire plan to bring a no-trust motion by Mamata had two-pronged motive. "The party has faced a lot of flak recently. Be it the Loba village incident or the police firing at Nadia. So to divert the focus from these, the Trinamool is doing these. Again, Mamata Banerjee had thought that if she could pull it off, it would have been exemplary. But just as she did during the Presidential election, this time too, she proved her thoughtlessness," he said.
- Terror accused wrongly jailed for 14 yrs, NHRC notices to Home Ministry, police
- SP hints no candidates against Sonia, Rahul
- In Hills, BJP gains GJM edge
- Delhi Police forms patrol teams to check pick-pocketing in Metro
- Two months to go and EC receives myriad complaints
- Maharashtra hailstorm hits crop worth Rs 5,000 cr
- AAP workers stage protest outside Kejriwal’s residence over ticket distribution
- BJP boycotts NDTV over news gaffe | The Indian Express
- Out of the promised 50,000 homes for the poor, not even 50 constructed in Gujarat by BJP: Kejriwal
- BJP complains to EC against Rahul over RSS remarks, seeks derecognition of Congress