Post-defeat, selectors mull leggie option, Harbhajan place uncertain
- Rajnath Singh does a Sonia Gandhi, meets top Shia clerics in Lucknow
- Gandhi vs Gandhi: Priyanka slams Varun, says LS poll not a family tea party
- Amnesty welcomes SC verdict on transgender
- If Modi loses in Varanasi, no one will make him PM: Arvind Kejriwal
- SC rejects Kejriwal's plea to stay trial in defamation case filed by Kapil Sibal's son
Indian spin bowlers proving ineffective in the second test against England in Mumbai — which the visitors won Monday by 10 wickets — has prompted the selectors to look at giving skipper M S Dhoni the option of including a leg-spinner in the side.
The squad for the next two tests in Kolkata and Nagpur is to be picked Tuesday.
If a leg-spinner is to be included in the side to add variety then he will take the place of off-spinner Harbhajan Singh, one selector said. The options before the selectors to complement off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin and left-arm spinner Pragyan Ojha are Haryana's Amit Mishra and Uttar Pradesh's Piyush Chawla. "However, Dhoni will have to take a call on the inclusion of the leg-spinner," the selector said.
Mishra took five wickets against Baroda during the on-going Ranji game in Rohtak but Chawla has struggled to attain form after a recurring thumb injury. Harbhajan took only two lower-order wickets in Mumbai, his first test in over a year.
Also, fast bowler Umesh Yadav, who missed the second test because of a back problem, is all but ruled out of the third test beginning December 5 in Kolkata.
- Modi wave is a myth, says Siddaramaiah
- In Mandya, discordant notes in show of Cong unity
- ‘Fakir’ Jankar takes on Pawar might in battle against ‘dynasty’
- Ballot paper in Braille to help blind persons cast their vote
- AAP volunteer attacked
- 64-year-old fights for Punjabi language, gets little support from political parties