Prabjhot Singh: Would invite my attackers to Gurudwara
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- SC calls Sahara proposal an âinsultâ, Subrata Roy to stay in jail till March 11
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
- Modi to hold 'Chai Pe Charcha' on women empowerment on Saturday
- Will not campaign for any candidate, says Anna Hazare
A Sikh professor, who was brutally attacked and injured by a mob of up to 30 people who called him 'Osama' and 'terrorist' here, has said he would invite the attackers to visit the Gurudwara and interact with members of the community to better understand his faith.
Prabhjot Singh, assistant professor at Columbia's School of International and Public Affairs, said it is "absolutely critical" to work with students and community organisations to spread awareness about other faiths and religions.
"If I could speak to my attackers, I would ask them if they had any questions, if they knew what they were doing. May be invite them to the Gurudwara where we worship, get to know who we are... Make sure they have an opportunity to move past
this as well," a sombre looking Singh, wearing a blue turban, said in a press conference here yesterday.
Singh was brutally attacked by about 20-30 young men who repeatedly punched him and 'pulled his beard' as he was walking in the city's Harlem neighbourhood on Saturday night. He was rushed to a local hospital, where he also works as a physician, and admitted with severe bruising, swelling, small puncture in his elbow and fracture in his lower jaw.
The New York Police Department has released a surveillance video of the suspects believed to be involved in the attack. The grainy clip shows a group of young 15-20
suspects riding their bikes shortly before they encountered Singh as he walking with a friend.
Two days after the attack, Singh, who has lived in the city for 10 years, said he will not be deterred from his goal of engaging with communities to educate and uplift people to make them become better human beings. There is need to understand who gave these kids the green light to hate.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today