Pranab Mukherjee would be a wise President: Shiela Dikshit
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
Congress leader and Delhi Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit today said Pranab Mukherjee would be "one the wisest Presidents" that India has had even as she expressed her amazement at how people from various political parties voted for him.
"I think he will be one of the wisest Presidents that we have had. He'll be a wise President not being a political President or administrative President but because he has so many years of experience in both governance and working within the party," Dikshit said.
With all Congress MLAs and MPs across the country voting for Mukherjee, Dikshit said those from outside the party had also extended their support to him.
"What has been really amazing is the fact that those who do not belong to the Congress and those who are independent or belong to other parties, even they came across and supported Pranab Mukherjee because of the stature he enjoys, the respect he has," she said.
The chief minister also said she was happy that the Presidential election this time had risen above party lines and the candidates became the centre of decision making.
Even though the 2014 elections were still far away, she said that the victory was a great morale booster for her party.
"Victory is always a big morale booster and this has been a great victory for the Congress to have chosen such a personality and because of this personality a lot of parties, inimical to the Congress or against the Congress, came together to vote for this candidate," she added.
- Live: Kejriwal does a U turn, urges people to come in largeÂ numbers
- Women competent enough, they need opportunities, saysÂ Rahul
- â€˜Modi has a majoritarian, authoritarian attitudeâ€¦ such a policy and style of govt would be a disaster for thisÂ countryâ€™
- â€˜Narmada water not reaching farmers for want of minor canalsâ€™ | The Indian Express