Pranab-Mithun no-show at Jangipur
- Patel row: Army conducts flag march to restore peace; seven dead in violence
- I know the exact cause of Sheena's murder: Indrani's son Mikhail Bora
- 26/11 Mumbai attack: Pakistan FIA did not probe role of Hafiz Saeed and David Headley
- Two US television journalists shot dead during live show; gunman dies in hospital
- OROP: Ex-servicemen say govt short changing them, dismiss its proposal
What was projected to be a gala show — External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Bollywood star Mithun Chakraborty together addressing a rally at Barabagan ground in Jangipur — ended in utter chaos and pandemonium with Mithun leaving the dais in a huff. Mukherjee, who learnt about the chaos from his people, did not even visit the rally ground.
Thousands of frenzied people, curious to have a look at their favourite filmstar, converged at the ground hours ahead of the show. After a while, the swelling crowd became uncontrollable and broke two barricades separating the dais from the ground.
Mithun, who was sharing the stage with Behrampore Congress MP Adhir Choudhury and other Congress leaders, had to be escorted away from the ground by securitymen after dozens of his fans invaded the dais. The security personnel had to resort to a lathi-charge to ward off the surging crowd.
It was a great disappointment for the scores of fans who gathered to hear Mithunda.
Said 16-year-old Shahidul Islam: "I am a great fan of Mithunda and I have seen quite a few of his films. I wanted to see him and hear his speech, but he was not audible."
Earlier, before his entry to Behrampore, Mithun was felicitated by Congress supporters at Nabagram and Sagardighi. He said, "I am overwhelmed by the love you showed to me. Pranabda will definitely win. There is no doubt about it."