Pranab-Mithun no-show at Jangipur
- LIVE: ISI supports LeT, JeM and Hizbul, David Headley tells court
- J&K govt formation: Ram Madhav to hold talks with Mehbooba Mufti to break impasse
- Soldier, who survived Siachen avalanche, being flown to Delhi hospital
- DDCA row: Delhi HC dismisses Kirti Azad's plea seeking court-monitored probe
- Net bad assets of govt banks a third of their net worth
What was projected to be a gala show — External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Bollywood star Mithun Chakraborty together addressing a rally at Barabagan ground in Jangipur — ended in utter chaos and pandemonium with Mithun leaving the dais in a huff. Mukherjee, who learnt about the chaos from his people, did not even visit the rally ground.
Thousands of frenzied people, curious to have a look at their favourite filmstar, converged at the ground hours ahead of the show. After a while, the swelling crowd became uncontrollable and broke two barricades separating the dais from the ground.
Mithun, who was sharing the stage with Behrampore Congress MP Adhir Choudhury and other Congress leaders, had to be escorted away from the ground by securitymen after dozens of his fans invaded the dais. The security personnel had to resort to a lathi-charge to ward off the surging crowd.
It was a great disappointment for the scores of fans who gathered to hear Mithunda.
Said 16-year-old Shahidul Islam: "I am a great fan of Mithunda and I have seen quite a few of his films. I wanted to see him and hear his speech, but he was not audible."
Earlier, before his entry to Behrampore, Mithun was felicitated by Congress supporters at Nabagram and Sagardighi. He said, "I am overwhelmed by the love you showed to me. Pranabda will definitely win. There is no doubt about it."
- Government must resolve growing burden of non-performing assets
- Outrage over police assault on students is meaningless
- Right to a toilet: For the health, dignity and safety of women in slums
- Raja-Mandala: Maritime India versus Continental Delhi
- The Akhilesh-Mulayam duet
- We have turned our back to the intense food and drinking water distress