Pranab-Mithun no-show at Jangipur
- Malaysia Airlines plane with 5 Indians onboard missing, presumed crashed off Vietnam coast
- Bharatiya Janata Party releases second list of candidates for Lok Sabha elections
- No compromise with live-ins or gay rights, moral values supreme: RSS
- In Mumbai, new warship system malfunctions, Navy officer killed
- I'm not a terrorist, Modi should have met me: Arvind Kejriwal
What was projected to be a gala show — External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Bollywood star Mithun Chakraborty together addressing a rally at Barabagan ground in Jangipur — ended in utter chaos and pandemonium with Mithun leaving the dais in a huff. Mukherjee, who learnt about the chaos from his people, did not even visit the rally ground.
Thousands of frenzied people, curious to have a look at their favourite filmstar, converged at the ground hours ahead of the show. After a while, the swelling crowd became uncontrollable and broke two barricades separating the dais from the ground.
Mithun, who was sharing the stage with Behrampore Congress MP Adhir Choudhury and other Congress leaders, had to be escorted away from the ground by securitymen after dozens of his fans invaded the dais. The security personnel had to resort to a lathi-charge to ward off the surging crowd.
It was a great disappointment for the scores of fans who gathered to hear Mithunda.
Said 16-year-old Shahidul Islam: "I am a great fan of Mithunda and I have seen quite a few of his films. I wanted to see him and hear his speech, but he was not audible."
Earlier, before his entry to Behrampore, Mithun was felicitated by Congress supporters at Nabagram and Sagardighi. He said, "I am overwhelmed by the love you showed to me. Pranabda will definitely win. There is no doubt about it."
However, after the fiasco at Jangipur, the two appeared at another rally in Aurangabad. And there Mithun played to the gallery by uttering the famous dialogue of his film MLA Fatakeshto. "I am not a political man. Pranabda is a universally respected person. He has done so many things for Bengal. Those who will say I have come here to do politics, beware,... "Marbo ekhane, lash porbe sashane (I will hit you here and the body will be there at the cremation ground)," Mithun said to the thunderous applause of the cheering crowd.
- Chai pe Charcha gets police protection, EC officials to check on poll norm violation
- Complaint against Kejriwal: Kutch cops gather evidence
- AAP chief to hold first public meeting in Gujarat today
- Nominations for North Bangalore primary begin
- ‘Our campaigning in the state will be out of the box’
- ‘Aai Retire Hotey’ to take the stage for 100th time today