Prepared to discuss law & order: Sukhbir
The SAD-BJP coalition government Monday said it is ready for discussion on law and order situation during the winter session of the Assembly, which began here on Monday.
"We are not afraid of any discussion on law and order. As a matter of fact I offered to hold discussion on the issue during business advisory committee meeting with the Speaker today. We are ready with full facts and figures," said SAD president and Deputy CM Sukhbir Singh Badal.
The PTI reported that before the commencement of the session, Leader of Opposition Sunil Jakhar along with 12 Congress MLAs met the Speaker urging him to allow live telecast of the debate on law and order situation in the state to be held on Tuesday.
Jakhar said that Opposition Congress would rake up issues of law and order, mining of sand and gravel and alleged "irregularities" in disbursement of discretionary grants and border area development funds during the session.
Meanwhile, Sukhbir claimed that Congress had been falsely accusing that "fake" cases have been registered against 40,000 party workers. He said the Congress has not provided a list of such cases till date.
"They are raising such issues just for one upmanship in their own party," Sukhbir said, adding that the law and order situation in Punjab was much better than in other states.
Winter session tributes
The five-day winter session of Punjab Assembly began on Monday with members paying tribute to late former Prime Minister I K
- Why my newspaper responded to Assam Rifles notice
- India is indebted to Shanti Bhushan for undoing Indira Gandhi’s 42nd Amendment
- Now that Bihar’s women have voted, what about their economic rights?
- Sedition and political speech
- Indian channels have a lot to learn from the international coverage of 13/11
- Europe’s challenge: Find a political solution to the quagmire in West Asia