President deserves praise for rejecting Afzal Guru mercy petition: Yashwant Sinha
- PDP, BJP seal alliance to form government in Jammu & Kashmir
- RK Pachauri, accused of sexual harassment, quits UN climate change panel
- Centre's land bill is anti-farmer, says Kejriwal at Anna protest rally
- SpiceJet launches low-fare offer for Holi; one lakh seats on the block
- BJP defends Bhagwat, claims Mother Teresa admitted she was not a social worker
Senior BJP leader Yashwant Sinha congratulated President Pranab Mukherjee for rejecting the mercy petition of terrorist Afzal Guru, who was hanged on Saturday.
Addressing a press conference here Sinha said, the President deserved praise for rejecting the mercy petition.
"The President's action is a clear signal that terrorists have no place in the country."
Responding to a question on whether the President acted under Opposition pressure, Sinha said, the Supreme Court upheld the verdict of death penalty of the terrorist in 2006 and he did not find any reason why the hanging was kept pending for such a long period.