President to visit Birbhum next week
- CBI sought part RTI exemption, Govt gave it full
- Screen Awards: Milkha, Ram-Leela and Madras Cafe dominate
- DGCA seeks fresh public objections after clearing AirAsia for take-off
- Delhi: 51-year-old Danish national alleges gangrape, 15 detained for questioning
- I wonder if I will be able to ever reunite with my husband, my kids. I miss them: Devyani
President Pranab Mukherjee will pay a two-day visit to Birbhum, his home district, from December 18. District Magistrate Jagdish Prasad Meena said Mukherjee would reach Santiniketan by helicopter on December 18 afternoon and attend two programmes there. After spending the night at the university guest house, he would go to Suri Vidyasagar College, from where he graduated, and would be felicitated.
He would return to Santiniketan from Suri and attend two more programmes in Visva-Bharati, Meena said.
Visva Bharati authorities said the President is scheduled to attend the special prayer in the heritage glass temple at Santiniketan on Tuesday and would take part in an interaction with teachers.
On Wednesday he would formally inaugurate the programme to celebrate the 100 years of Tagore receiving the Nobel prize. The President also would take part in a seminar at China Bhavan of Visva Bharati. Mukherjee was a student of Suri Vidyasagar College and graduated from there in 1956 with honours in Bengali. College principal L N Mondal said Pranab would be gifted a compilation of photographs and other documents from his student days.