President's son takes oath as MP
- Supreme Court strikes down Section 66A, says it violates right to speech
- Pakistan Day: PM greets, MoS VK Singh tweets #disgust
- DK Ravi's death: Govt calls in CBI, tells court he had a ‘relationship’ with batchmate
- Mufti Mohammad Sayeed says will take Army into confidence on AFSPA
- 1987 Hashimpura massacre: The photographs that stand witness
Abhijit Mukherjee, son of President Pranab Mukherjee, today took oath as a first time member of the Lok Sabha.
Abhijit, who won the bye-election to the Jangipur Parliamentary constituency, took oath in English and in the name of God.
The bypoll was necessitated as the seat fell vacant following the election of Pranab Mukherjee as the President of India.
Abhijit won the bypoll as a Congress candidate. Earlier, he was a first-term member of the West Bengal Assembly.
BJP leader Mala Rajya Laxmi Shah, who was elected to the Lok Sabha from Tehri Garhwal in Uttarakhand, also took oath as member of the Lower House.
Shah, also a first-term member, won the bypoll which was necessitated as the Tehri Garhwal seat fell vacant after the resignation of Vijay Bahuguna who was named as Chief Minister of Uttarakhand.