Preview: India's January inflation likely at more than 3-year low
- 1984 riots: Akalis protest over Capt Amarinder Singh's clean chit to Jagdish Tytler
- Supreme Court issues notice to Goa Police, agrees to hear Tejpal's bail plea in sexual assault case
- India does not need a govt that makes Hindus fight Muslims: Rahul
- Giriraj Singh defiant despite FIR, says he stands by his 'Modi critics must go to Pak' remarks
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Uma Bharti says Robert Vadra will be in jail if NDA comes to power
"There could be a little bit of a potential uptick in food inflation on the back of some of the weather related factors we have had more recently," said Leif Eskesen, HSBC's chief economist for India and Southeast Asia.
The main concern is onion prices, the staple ingredient in Indian cuisine, which have more than doubled in the last three months as supplies remained tight.
India's 1.2 billion inhabitants chomp their way through 15 million tonnes of onions a year, using them as the base for most traditional curries, and when prices rise it gives a significant kick to inflation.
While food prices have kept headline inflation high, core inflation - non-food items and manufacturing - extended its downward trend and dropped to 4.2 percent in December.
The government, which fixes the retail price of diesel, last month told retailers to raise the price of the subsidised fuel in small amounts every month, a move aimed at propping up public finances.
"We wont necessarily see much of the impact from the hike in diesel prices because it was relatively limited and also towards the middle of the month but there could be some slight uptick in energy related prices," Eskesen said.
India is the world's fourth biggest oil importer.
- 21-year-old dies in road mishap, one injured
- Ask Badals where is Ludhiana Metro: Bhattal to locals
- Arrests in priest murder case divide Catholic Church
- Short Change: EPFO to allot permanent account number to active subscribers by Oct 15
- India Inc profit set to grow, but margins under pressure
- Mulayam: Will amend Constitution for Muslim quota