'Price Is Right' model Brandi Cochran wins $7.7 mn in discrimination suit
- Jigisha Ghosh murder case: Two convicts get death sentence, life imprisonment for one
- Ban pellet guns in Kashmir, Omar Abdullah-led delegation asks PM Modi
- PM Modi, Afghan President Ghani jointly inaugurate renovated Stor Palace
- AAP doesn't have money to fight election: Kejriwal
- Kicking off UP poll campaign, Mayawati slams BJP-RSS, SP, is soft on Congress
A former model on the US daytime television game show "The Price is Right" was awarded $7.7 million in punitive damages by a Los Angeles court on Wednesday after suing the show for not letting her return to work after giving birth.
The amount was in addition to $775,000 in compensatory damages awarded to 41-year-old Brandi Cochran on Tuesday, after the jury in the case ruled that the producers of the show had acted with malice by not taking her back after her pregnancy.
The jury rejected Cochran's claim for mental hardship she said she had suffered."I hope my case will help other women in the same situation," Cochran told reporters outside the courtroom after the trial.Producers for "The Price is Right" said they planned to appeal.
Cochran, who is married to soap-opera actor Dean Cochran, told the Los Angeles Superior Court the show's producers began treating her poorly after she told them in December 2008 that she was expecting twins.
The former Miss USA and Miss Teen USA told the court that once she was pregnant, producers made disparaging remarks about her eating habits and weight, and removed her from the show's website.
The show's comedian host Drew Carey backed the producers in testimony earlier this month.
- Cow protection, paradoxically, poses a threat to the BJP’s project of Hindu unity
- The government needs to distinguish between crooked NGOs and genuine ones
- India’s quest for Olympic medals is hampered by history and geography
- The Modi government is meeting its development targets before time
- Raja Mandala: The Great Wall of China
- Farm incomes may not revive despite good monsoon