Principal suspended, no trace of accused yet
- Breaking: Navy officer dies on board INS Kolkata off Mumbai
- Subrata Roy to remain in Tihar, Supreme Court calls Sahara's proposal "dishonourable"
- Arvind Kejriwal stopped on way to meet Narendra Modi
- Modi's next round of Chai pe charcha doesn't have police permission yet
- SC issues notice to Centre on Kiran Reddy's PIL against creation of Telangana
The principal of Nazrul Satabarsha Polytechnic College at Rupnarayanpur in Burdwan was suspended on Sunday in the wake of an alleged gangrape of a girl student by three student union members.
Rituparno Basu, the principal of the college, has been suspended for the alleged lapse on his part, said Technical Education Minister Rabiranjan Chattopadhyay in Kolkata.
Meanwhile, Asansol Durgapur Commissionerate took over the probe and the Divisional Commissioner Subrata Gangopadhyay visited the victim's house and assured of quick probe.
On October 9, the first-year student of the college was allegedly drugged, stripped, filmed and gangraped inside the college union room by a group of students. The girl, who was admitted at a local nursing home, in her complaint to the police named three students of the college, one outsider and the security guard of the college. Police have so far arrested only Bhola Das, the security guard who has been sent to judicial custody. Among those named included Samyo Mondal, Trinamool Congress Chhatra Parishad leader and general secretary of the college union, Deepak, another TMCP leader, Abhi Ghosh, a student of the college and Mithilesh Ojha, an outsider. Police said they have sent their team to Jharkhand to locate Deepak.