Prison guard recruitment scam: 10 jail officers held
- Gujjars intensify agitation for job quota, block Delhi-Mumbai rail track
- Video: Mumbai graduate denied job for being Muslim, Minorities Commission seeks explanation from company
- Geelani's 'incomplete' passport application cannot be processed: MEA
- Manish Sisodia launches counter-attack, says AAP govt trying to stop officers' transfer-posting industry
- 'You are the apple of my eye': Osama bin Laden's son's letter to wife
The state Anti Corruption Bureau (ACB) on Thursday arrested 10 jail officers for their alleged involvement in the jail guard recruitment scam (western region) in 2005. The ACB had earlier arrested six jail officers who are now out on bail.
Four arrested in Pune were produced before the court today were remanded in magisterial custody. The remaining six arrested in Thane, Nashik, Aurangabad and Mumbai would be produced before the Pune police court on Friday.
The incident had come to light after some candidates, who appeared for the jail guard recruitment in prisons in western region in 2005, filed a complaint with the ACB alleging corruption in the selection process.
The ACB team led by assistant commissioner of police S Y Mohite initiated a probe which revealed that jail officers misused their power to select candidates of their choice.
"ACB investigations revealed that accused jail officers tampered with the answersheets of 28 candidates of their choice. They prepared bogus documents and changed the merit list. As a result, 19 candidates, who had cleared the selection procedure, were rejected," said Vishwas Pandhare, Superintendent of ACB, Pune.
"The investigation is complete and the ACB has sought the permission of the state government to submit the chargesheet against the accused," he said.
Of the 10 arrested today, two are retired, one resigned and one has taken voluntary retirement, while six are attached to different police establishments in the state.
* Umaji Tolaram Pawar, then jail superintendent of Yerawada open jail
* Prakash Chimanrao Yadav, retired, was officer at the Jail Officers Training College, Yerawada
* Sanjay Laxman Kulkarni, then jail superintendent, Visapur Jail in Ahmednagar
* Anand Laxman Wadar, retired, then jail superintendent, Ahmednagar jail
* Rachana Prafulla Dhumal, not in service, then assistant police inspector at Prison department, Pune
* Mahadev Narayan Pawar, took voluntary retirement, then assistant police inspector at prison department, Pune
* Ganesh Amrut Mankar, then trainee jail officer, Jail Officers Training College, Yerawada
* Ganesh Shelke, jail officer, Thane
* Digambar Shivaji Igave, jail officer, Solapur
* Santosh Kokane, jail officer at Dhule