Priyanka Gandhi pledges a gift of life
- Rein in non-state actors to have peace, friendship with India: Mufti to Pak
- 27 years after Hashimpura, 4 who survived watch 16 cops walk free
- Government departments seek more space, dial ISRO to innovate
- Sonia gave free hand to decide on CBI probe: Karnataka CM on IAS officer’s death
- Bihar Cheating: ‘Happened last year too, no one noticed’
UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi's daughter Priyanka Gandhi, expressed a desire to donate her organs, according to an announcement made on her behalf, at a function organised in the city to spread awareness on organ donation.
A text message sent by Priyanka Gandhi, who could not attend the function, was read out by doctors of Sir Ganga Ram Hospital (SRGH), which organised the event.
"You are welcome to announce my name as a donor if it helps the cause," the message read.
Brinda Karat, CPM Politburo member, registered herself with the AIIMS Organ Retrieval and Banking Organisation (ORBO) during the event.
Dr D S Rana, Chairman, Board of Management SGRH, said the rate of organ donation is only 0.8 per million people whereas in UK it is 17 per million and in Spain it is 35 per million. "If only 20 per cent of the families of people who had a brain death donated their organs, the requirements in India would be met," he said.
Dr Aarti Vij, in-charge of ORBO at AIIMS, the only government organ donors' registry, said there were over 17,000 registered donors, but many more were needed.