Priyanka Gandhi pledges a gift of life
- Elections 2014 LIVE: 60 pc voting in Bengal till 1 pm; Jaitley slams Rahul over 'ullu' barb
- Admiral Dhowan appointed as new Navy chief
- Is there a vikas vote? Healthier babies make not a whimper on campaign pitch in Hazaribagh
- Alagiri backs âgreat manâ Modi as PM
- CAG empowered to examine accounts of private telecom companies: Supreme Court
UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi's daughter Priyanka Gandhi, expressed a desire to donate her organs, according to an announcement made on her behalf, at a function organised in the city to spread awareness on organ donation.
A text message sent by Priyanka Gandhi, who could not attend the function, was read out by doctors of Sir Ganga Ram Hospital (SRGH), which organised the event.
"You are welcome to announce my name as a donor if it helps the cause," the message read.
Brinda Karat, CPM Politburo member, registered herself with the AIIMS Organ Retrieval and Banking Organisation (ORBO) during the event.
Dr D S Rana, Chairman, Board of Management SGRH, said the rate of organ donation is only 0.8 per million people whereas in UK it is 17 per million and in Spain it is 35 per million. "If only 20 per cent of the families of people who had a brain death donated their organs, the requirements in India would be met," he said.
Dr Aarti Vij, in-charge of ORBO at AIIMS, the only government organ donors' registry, said there were over 17,000 registered donors, but many more were needed.
- Activist, her aide booked for cheating in attempt to frame acquitted murder accused
- Extended Monorail running hours fails to pull crowd
- HC orders action against Essel World for causing harm to mangroves
- Cops crack bar girl’s murder case after waiter’s tip-off
- Railway to provide plastic pouches for commuter IDs
- Last safety check for Metro to begin April 18