Probe ‘manhandling’ of CPM member, Ansari tells govt
- LIVE: Centre tables Land Bill amidst cries of 'kisan bachao, desh bachao'
- Full text of Prashant Bhushan's reply to AAP's show cause notice
- SC refuses to dismiss NGT's ban on older vehicles
- Oil paper leak: Court takes cognisance of chargesheet filed against accused
- On Delhi’s edge, a township of 25,000 more toxic than Delhi
A day after CPM member T N Seema was allegedly manhandled by the Delhi Police during a protest demanding removal of Rajya Sabha deputy chairman P J Kurien, who is facing charges in the Suryanelli rape case, Rajya Sabha chairman Hamid Ansari on Friday directed the government to probe the "manhandling" and submit a report.
Ansari's direction came after members met him in his chamber before the House convened for the day, seeking his intervention since Seema is a Rajya Sabha MP. "Some members met me this morning and informed that T N Seema, MP, was manhandled yesterday... It is a serious matter which relates to the dignity of the member and the prestige of the House. I direct the government to inquire into the matter and submit a report before the next sitting of the House," he said.
In the Lok Sabha, Speaker Meira Kumar assured CPM members that she had sought a factual note from the Delhi Police on the alleged lathicharge on MPs during the protest.