Profile: Anandiben Patel
- Farmer’s suicide: Family lashes out at AAP, raises doubt on suicide note
- Human resource India's biggest strength: PM Modi
- Sena-BJP sweep Aurangabad civic polls, AIMIM ahead of Cong, NCP
- Call records may nail red sandalwood killings; NHRC seeks records of personnel involved
- Amit Shah rips Rahul Gandhi for 'post-leave' noises
Anandiben Patel, Revenue Minister
Said to be second in command, both in government and the party, delimitation made Patel change her constituency to the BJP bastion of Ghatlodiya from Patan. Thanks to her proximity to Chief Minister Narendra Modi, this hard task master is also seen as Modi's successor in Gujarat if he moves to the Centre. She is seen as BJP's role model among women leaders.
While his seat on the national stage is still not certain, Modi has been grooming Patel, 70, to take over from him. It is understood Patel has conducted meetings of even those portfolios which are not under her. She also also supervises the progress of the Narmada dam project, which has been a significant poll issue. Patel has been a former school teacher.