Profile: Narendra Modi
- Telangana LIVE: Bill passed by throwing all norms to the wind, says Kiran Kumar Reddy after quitting Congress
- Protests in RS over Telangana, papers snatched from Secretary General
- Rajiv Gandhi killers to be released, Jayalalithaa takes decision at Tamil Nadu Cabinet meet
- Decision to black out Telangana proceedings taken by Lok Sabha secretariat, confirms Kamal Nath
- Express 5: AAP kickstarts its poll funding drive and Telangana Bill passed in Lok Sabha
Narendra Modi is leading the 2012 race from the front and looks poised to become chief minister for a record third time in Gujarat.
Born in the other backward class (OBC) middle-class family at Vadnagar, he was the third of six children born to Damodardas Mulchand Modi and his wife Heeraben. He has been keenly associated with the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) since long. He was handed the baton for Gujarat in the late 90s by party leader LK Advani to spearhead the election campaign in Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh.
He became the chief minister of Gujarat in October 2001, promoted to the office at a time when his predecessor Keshubhai Patel had resigned, following the defeat of BJP in the by-elections.
Modi has successfully established Gujarat as a thriving business model but has failed againa and again to brush off the 'taint' of having failed to be a good administrator during the terrible riots of 2002.
His third straight win this time, many say that is a foregone conclusion, is likely to put him straight in the national league. With BJP struggling to project a consensus Prime Ministerial candidate, Modi's name keeps cropping up again and again.
- Chance discovery of a photograph led to the arrest of two policemen, two others in murder case
- Death sentence: Man used company’s car to kidnap teen, it led to arrest of all three
- Kievan halves
- Khurshid likely to meet Pakistani counterpart today
- Tenants murdered landlady, daughter to claim ownership of house: Police
- Common causes