Profile: Narendra Modi
- Quota row: Curfew imposed in Gujarat's Mehsana district
- Indrani Mukherjea, former Star TV CEO Peter Mukherjea's wife, arrested on murder charge
- India's population 121.09 crore; Hindus 79.8 pc, Muslims 14.2 pc: Census
- Kejriwal meets PM Modi, talks about better Centre-State relation
- BJP registers comfortable win in Bengaluru civic polls, setback for Congress
Narendra Modi is leading the 2012 race from the front and looks poised to become chief minister for a record third time in Gujarat.
Born in the other backward class (OBC) middle-class family at Vadnagar, he was the third of six children born to Damodardas Mulchand Modi and his wife Heeraben. He has been keenly associated with the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) since long. He was handed the baton for Gujarat in the late 90s by party leader LK Advani to spearhead the election campaign in Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh.
He became the chief minister of Gujarat in October 2001, promoted to the office at a time when his predecessor Keshubhai Patel had resigned, following the defeat of BJP in the by-elections.
Modi has successfully established Gujarat as a thriving business model but has failed againa and again to brush off the 'taint' of having failed to be a good administrator during the terrible riots of 2002.