Profile: Narendra Modi
- Aamir Khan responds, says 'Proud to be Indian, stand by what I said'
- GST is in the interest of the nation, says PM Modi at all-party meet
- Rescued Russian pilot says no warning from Turkey before jet downed
- 'Suit boot ki sarkar' is failing because there are no jobs: Rahul Gandhi
- BJP strategy in Parliament: Aggression is the best form of defense
Narendra Modi is leading the 2012 race from the front and looks poised to become chief minister for a record third time in Gujarat.
Born in the other backward class (OBC) middle-class family at Vadnagar, he was the third of six children born to Damodardas Mulchand Modi and his wife Heeraben. He has been keenly associated with the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) since long. He was handed the baton for Gujarat in the late 90s by party leader LK Advani to spearhead the election campaign in Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh.
He became the chief minister of Gujarat in October 2001, promoted to the office at a time when his predecessor Keshubhai Patel had resigned, following the defeat of BJP in the by-elections.
Modi has successfully established Gujarat as a thriving business model but has failed againa and again to brush off the 'taint' of having failed to be a good administrator during the terrible riots of 2002.
- Post 13/11 sloganeering at Antalya and Kuala Lumpur won’t be enough
- Can Parliament be insulated from the vagaries of the political climate?
- Telescope: Aamir and Chinese whispers
- What Manmohan Singh really think about the Planning Commission?
- Going solar
- Newspaper is supposed to expose corruption and injustice wherever it finds it