- Patna High Court stays Nitish Kumar's election as JD(U) legislature party chief
- Arvind Kejriwal gets down to business, calls for full statehood for Delhi
- President Pranab Mukherjee warns against deviation from constitutional principles
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: SIT to quiz Shashi Tharoor tomorrow
- Shanti Bhushan accuses Arvind Kejriwal of accepting 'tainted' money
Shweta Bhatt (Congress)
Her candidature from Congress against Narendra Modi in Maninagar has been seen as a proxy battle of her husband Sanjiv Bhatt, a suspended IPS officer who accused Modi of orchestrating the 2002 riots. She calls her fight a battle for democracy.
Last time, Narendra Modi defeated Dinshaw Patel by 75,000 votes and any contest against him is usually of little significance. But still, Shweta Bhatt has managed to grab the headlines. Her husband IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt, now suspended, is a hero to Modi's critics for daring to testify against the chief minister.
Bhatt has accused Modi of playing a complicit role in the 2002 riots.