Promotion quota: Cong zonal head too opposes
- Why Germanwings flight A320 might have crashed over the French Alps
- Indian Navy surveillance aircraft crashes in Goa; two officers missing
- Section 66A: 21 individuals whose petitions changed the system
- Government is willing to compromise on land bill: Venkaiah Naidu
- A little reminder: No one in House debated Section 66A, Congress brought it and BJP backed it
After divisions within the BJP on the issue of reservation in promotion, Vivek Kumar Singh, one of the eight Congress zonal presidents and MLA from Banda, has expressed his disagreement with the Congress-led UPA government over the issue, and urged Lok Sabha members to listen to their conscience before casting their vote on the constitutional amendment Bill.
"I oppose the central government's move to bring the reservation in promotion Bill. If introduced, it will be a gross injustice to those who have worked hard and have 'qualified' for their respective posts," Vivek Singh told The Indian Express on Wednesday.
"Those who are supporting it should ask themselves: Will they go to a 'promoted' doctor for a heart surgery? Or will they trust a doctor who has acquired his post through hard work?" he said. "When it comes to reservation, our Constitution does not employ the word 'community', then how come the government wants to bring a Bill for a specific community?" Singh said, adding that he wants to sends his message to the government through media.
"They are already being given reservation in jobs but now reservation in promotion makes little sense. Also, why not give extended reservation in military for them if you want to improve the lot?" he said. "To extend benefits to 20 per cent of the population, they are making the other 80 per cent suffer," he said, adding that the BJP government had tried to bring a similar Bill in 2002 but it was termed unconstitutional by the Supreme Court.
Singh said this was his personal opinion which had nothing to do with the party. "I came to this decision after interacting with all kinds of people in my constituency over the past few days and I witnessed their anger during my interactions," he said.