Proposed Oz law could give police power to lift burqa
- Independence Day Narendra Modi speech LIVE: PM addresses price rise to progress
- Narendra Modi speech Independence Day 2016: Transparency seems to be highlight, says processes simplified
- CRPF officer killed as militants attack police station in Srinagar
- Rio Olympics 2016: Dipa Karmakar's Produnova does India proud
- Narendra Modi’s Independence Day speech packs a few subtle hints after the hard messages
Proposed changes to a law related to the burka will reportedly force Australian women wearing full-face veils to should their faces when stopped by police, if passed by court.
Attorney-General Greg Smith has said that it is the duty of all citizens to identify themselves when asked by police, and the law should reflect that.
"The law is not that specific at the moment and that is what we are leading towards," The Telegraph quoted Smith, as saying.
He said he could understand the "public outcry" over "cases like that" of Muslim woman Carnita Matthews, who had her jail sentence and conviction for knowingly making a false complaint about racism by police overturned on appeal in the District Court last week.
Matthews, who wears a full-face niqab, had denied that she was the person who signed the complaint or delivered it to police after she was booked for not properly displaying a P-plate.
However, Smith thinks that there were grounds for the prosecution to appeal the court ruling that has led to the legal proceedings, and added that there could only be an appeal on matters of law, not fact.
- Indians are more free than when the British left, but less free than what the framers of our Constitution hoped us to be.
- Gujarat Dalits’ move to quit ‘menial jobs’ in protest has a precedent in UP
- Ravana in Uttar Pradesh: Nayanjot Lahiri
- PM Modi needs to move from slogans to action to transform agriculture
- Nepal: The politician-activist-donor nexus dominates the appointment of judges
- To his successor, and to the PM and the government, Dr Rajan has left valuable messages