Prosecution seeks video trial for Ansari
Citing a recent government resolution (GR) on the urgent need for a security cover for 26/11 accused Zabiuddin Ansari alias Abu Jundal, the prosecution told the court Tuesday the trial should be conducted through videoconferencing.
The GR claimed Jundal could be attacked or abducted while on his way to the sessions court at Kala Ghoda from Arthur Road Jail.
"The government order was issued under section 268 of the code of criminal procedure," special public prosecutor Raja Thakre said.
Under the section, the state can allow an accused to skip regular court proceedings after making arrangements such as videoconferencing for trial.
Jundal, an alleged key conspirator of the November 26, 2008, terror attack, is also facing trial in the Aurangabad arms haul case of 2008.
The two-page GR states that Jundal should be made available before the court only if necessary and arrangements should be made for his safe journey.
Jundal, lodged in Arthur Road Jail, has been provided high security.
His lawyer Ejaz Naqvi recently moved applications claiming that he was mentally ill and should be moved to a regular barrack with other inmates.
In August last year, ATS secured Jundal's custody in the arms haul case.
Jundal was first arrested by Delhi police on June 25 last year after deportation from Saudi Arabia.
ATS claimed that Jundal, who hails from Beed, was a handler of the 10 Pakistani terrorists who attacked Mumbai in November 2008, killing 166 people.