Pro-Tamil activists attack Aurobindo Ashram premises
- 9 killed, over 40 injured as Bengaluru-Ernakulam Express train derails near Hosur
- SC says allegations grave, but grants relief to Teesta Setalvad in cheating case
- All you need to know about AAP's WiFi Delhi promise
- 19 killed as militants storm Shia mosque in Pakistan
- Modi’s cricket diplomacy: Renewing political contact with Pakistan
A group of pro-Tamil activists today barged into the Aurobindo Ashram, damaged furniture and smashed glass panes after reportedly attacking and injuring the watchman.
Police said activists of the Periyar Dravida Kazhagam (PDK) also smashed flower pots and damaged the notice board, a clock besides the ashram emblem atop the main gate, they said.
They also raised pro Tamil slogans, police said, adding that the exact reason for the attack was not known.
Ashram sources said the attackers hit the watchman on the head before forcing their way into the Ashram. No devotee was present inside as the visiting time had ended, they said.
Police said 20 PDK activists were arrested in connection with the incidents.
Cases were registered against them under various sections of the IPC relating to unlawful assembly, causing hurt and damage to property, they said.