Protests on at Art College
- Mamata Banerjee govt saving those involved in Saradha scam: Rahul Gandhi
- Senior Pakistan journalist Hamid Mir shot at in Karachi
- One dead in Odisha post-poll violence
- BJP rubbishes Geelani's claim, calls separatist leader's 'Modi emissary talk' as 'false and mischievous'
- IPL 7 Live Cricket Score, DD vs KKR: DD beat KKR by four wickets
The stalemate at Government Art College continued for the second day on Wednesday with students and teachers protesting against Principal Jayanta Chowdhury's decision to dissolve the teachers' council. Angry students said that they won't allow the principal to enter the college premises and demanded his immediate removal.
Around 400 students and 32 teachers took part in today's protest demanding constitution of a teachers' council so that academic and administrative work could begin.
On December 22, the college is scheduled to hold an art exhibition. But with the current impasse, it is not clear that the exhibition could be organised. "The exhibition is the only event to showcase our art. If it is cancelled, our career will be affected," said one of the protesting students. Teachers alleged that the principal did not consult them while taking major decisions.
Chowdhury, meanwhile, declined to comment. "If this stalemate continues for long, I will be forced to take a drastic action," he said.