PU students clean campus, raise awareness
- Defiant Azam Khan stands by Kargil won by Muslim soldiers remark, gets EC notice
- Lok Sabha polls: Voting picks up in NE states; 40 per cent turnout in Manipur till noon
- SC refrains from staying government move to include Jats in OBC category
- Its image dented, and spread too thin, Aam Aadmi Party struggles in Delhi
- Elections 2014 LIVE: It's in Cong's character to make false promises to win elections, says Modi on Shinde's turf
The volunteers of the NGO, Punjab Eco-Friendly Association, organised a cleanliness drive at the Students Centre at Panjab University on Monday.
Around 50 students participated in the event as the students literally took up the issue of proper garbage disposal in their hands. They went around with garbage bags and picked the litter scattered around the campus. "We want to draw the attention of the authorities and the students towards the problem of littering by setting a precedent and showing them that if they don't pick up their own garbage, someone else has to do it for them," said Devinder Singh, President.
He says that the lax attitude of the sweepers and the carelessness of the students is responsible for the pathetic condition of the lawns. "Firstly, we need more dustbins and secondly, it is very unfortunate that the students should turn a blind eye to the dustbins that are in place," said Harpreet Randhawa, a member. According to him, the other issues that have been identified are the wastage of water and electricity in hostels. He says that they have installed around 25 bird houses across the campus and water facilities for the birds. The NGO has been active here for an year and has 200 registered members.
- Walmart to launch 50 stores in big India push
- Poojary banking on ‘sympathy’ for Dakshina Kannada seat
- Solution to water woes key factor in Chikkaballapur
- Eying 85 pc turnout, election dept offers many sops
- Last day, last show: Parties flex muscles, try to connect with one & all
- From societies to slums, Adhalrao-Patil on the move