Pub manager drives into police post, 5 policemen injured
- Mulayam asks teaching assistants to vote SP, EC sees a 'violation'
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7: Maxwellâs 43-ball 95 helps KXIP chase 206
A 27-year-old man, working as a manager at a pub in Gurgaon, was arrested for injuring five policemen after his Chevrolet Aveo rammed a police picket on NH 24 in East Delhi early Thursday.
Police said Sunil Sharma, a resident of Sector-1, Vaishali, was driving rashly.
According to police, the car first rammed into the police barricade and hit a police motorcycle before climbing on to the pavement.
"The personnel came under the wheels of the car and were dragged for a few meters till the car came to a halt. However, they managed to escape with minor injuries," a police officer said.
The injured have been identified as head constables Sunder Lal and Manoj, constables Avneesh and Sheeshpal and home guard Sahab Singh. All five were at the picket located near NH-24 flyover en route to Ghazipur.
Police had stationed eight men there after receiving a tip-off that a Mewat gang would be passing through the area.
In his complaint, head constable Sunder Lal said, "Around 1.40 am, we were doing our routine checking at the picket on NH-24. Just then, a speeding Chevrolet Aveo, coming from the Nizamuddin side en-route to Vaishali, rammed into the police barricade and a police motorcycle. The car was being driven rashly and at a high speed. The vehicle kept veering across the road. He drove straight into the barricade and also ran over the bike parked on the side."
The FIR states that Sharma was inebriated. Police have collected Sharma's blood sample to ascertain this. He was arrested under Sections 279/337 of the IPC (rash and negligent driving) and Section 185 of the Motor Vehicles Act.
The personnel were rushed to Lal Bahadur Shastri Hospital where they were discharged after treatment.
- Cong appoints Harshad scam accused as chief of Mumbai Gujarati cell
- Militants kill PDP sarpanch in Valley
- VVIP chopper scam: CBI chief meets envoy in Italy
- In final run, Mavericks first hurdle for Spurs
- Injuries to Neymar, Alba add to Barcelona’s woes
- Rani Jhansi flyover: HC notices to civic body, Railways