Puducherry CPI plea to President on Finance Commission
- Subrata Roy to remain in Tihar, Supreme Court calls Sahara's proposal "dishonourable"
- Arvind Kejriwal stopped on way to meet Narendra Modi
- Modi's next round of Chai pe charcha doesn't have police permission yet
- SC issues notice to Centre on Kiran Reddy's PIL against creation of Telangana
- BJP against withdrawl of sedition charges against Kashmiri students
CPI has urged President Pranab Mukherjee to ensure that the population of 2011 is taken as the base by the XIV Finance Commission in making its recommendations on various matters for determination of devolution of taxes and duties and grant in aids to States and Union Territories.
CPI Puducherry State committee Secretary R. Viswanathan has in his memorandum to President, a copy of which was released to media here today, also urged him to ensure that the union territory of Puducherry was also brought within the purview of the Fourteenth Finance Commission.
"It would be an injustice to people of Puducherry and to other States to take the 1971 population for devolution of taxes," he said.