Puducherry CPI plea to President on Finance Commission
- My government will not be vindictive: Narendra Modi on Robert Vadra
- Serious allegations against N Srinivasan in IPL spot-fixing probe report, keep him away from BCCI: Supreme Court
- Rahul tears into Narendra Modi's 'toffee model' development in Gujarat
- Karnataka: At least six burnt to death, 12 injured as bus catches fire
- Elections 2014 LIVE: Sonia to address rally in Telangana; Smriti Irani files nomination
CPI has urged President Pranab Mukherjee to ensure that the population of 2011 is taken as the base by the XIV Finance Commission in making its recommendations on various matters for determination of devolution of taxes and duties and grant in aids to States and Union Territories.
CPI Puducherry State committee Secretary R. Viswanathan has in his memorandum to President, a copy of which was released to media here today, also urged him to ensure that the union territory of Puducherry was also brought within the purview of the Fourteenth Finance Commission.
"It would be an injustice to people of Puducherry and to other States to take the 1971 population for devolution of taxes," he said.