Puducherry CPI plea to President on Finance Commission
- PM silent on One Rank One Pension, upset defence veterans plan nation-wide agitation
- Relentless heatwave continues, death toll rises to nearly 700
- 'Manmohan Singh warned me of harm if I did not cooperate on 2G issue'
- BJP MLA marshalled out of Delhi Assembly for criticising Speaker
- Bypolls to 6 seats in 5 states on June 27, Jaya to contest on one
CPI has urged President Pranab Mukherjee to ensure that the population of 2011 is taken as the base by the XIV Finance Commission in making its recommendations on various matters for determination of devolution of taxes and duties and grant in aids to States and Union Territories.
CPI Puducherry State committee Secretary R. Viswanathan has in his memorandum to President, a copy of which was released to media here today, also urged him to ensure that the union territory of Puducherry was also brought within the purview of the Fourteenth Finance Commission.
"It would be an injustice to people of Puducherry and to other States to take the 1971 population for devolution of taxes," he said.