Puducherry CPI plea to President on Finance Commission
- Patna High Court stays Nitish Kumar's election as JD(U) legislature party chief
- Arvind Kejriwal gets down to business, calls for full statehood for Delhi
- President Pranab Mukherjee warns against deviation from constitutional principles
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: SIT to quiz Shashi Tharoor tomorrow
- Shanti Bhushan accuses Arvind Kejriwal of accepting 'tainted' money
CPI has urged President Pranab Mukherjee to ensure that the population of 2011 is taken as the base by the XIV Finance Commission in making its recommendations on various matters for determination of devolution of taxes and duties and grant in aids to States and Union Territories.
CPI Puducherry State committee Secretary R. Viswanathan has in his memorandum to President, a copy of which was released to media here today, also urged him to ensure that the union territory of Puducherry was also brought within the purview of the Fourteenth Finance Commission.
"It would be an injustice to people of Puducherry and to other States to take the 1971 population for devolution of taxes," he said.