Pulok Chatterjee, close Sonia associate, joins PMO as Principal Secy
- Bulandshahr gangrape: Minor victim moves SC, seeks FIR against Azam Khan
- NSG row behind them, Chinese FM Wang Yi holds talks with PM Modi, Sushma Swaraj
- Behind attack on BJP leader Brijpal Teotia: 8 murders & a plot
- Appointment of judges: Break logjam soon or we will step in, CJI tells govt
- Sania Mirza-Rohan Bopanna one win away from Rio 2016 Olympics medal
Senior IAS officer Pulok Chatterjee, considered close to the Gandhi family, today joined as the Prime Minister's Principal Secretary, at a time when the government is going through tough times.
A 1974-batch officer of Uttar Pradesh cadre, Chatterjee returned to PMO after a stint with the World Bank. He was in the PMO earlier as a Joint Secretary from 2004 to 2009.
He replaced T K A Nair, who has been made Adviser to the Prime Minister.
Chatterjee's return is seen with significance as he is expected to make smoother the coordination between PMO and Congress President Sonia Gandhi at a time when the government is passing through difficult times.
He is considered close to Sonia Gandhi with whom he had served when she was the Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha.
His appointment is part of a rehaul of the Prime Minister's Office initiated three months back.
M N Prasad, who was a Secretary in the PMO, left to join the World Bank. Sanjay Mitra, a Joint Secretary in the PMO, has already joined West Bengal government. He has been replaced by L K Atheeq, who was serving as Director and was promoted recently.
- Prachanda must address Madhesi aspirations and bring relations with India on even keel
- Inflation has dropped by a large magnitude, during Raghuram Rajan’s tenure as RBI gov
- Pakistan’s foreign policy, founded on hostility towards India, has isolated it globally
- India can gain by being active in the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank
- Civic tech can be an instrument for bringing social change
- All parties meet about Kashmir. But are they prepared to hear the Kashmiris?