Pune blasts accused claims torture by ATS
- Patel row: Army conducts flag march to restore peace; seven dead in violence
- I know the exact cause of Sheena's murder: Indrani's son Mikhail Bora
- 26/11 Mumbai attack: Pakistan FIA did not probe role of Hafiz Saeed and David Headley
- Two US television journalists shot dead during live show; gunman dies in hospital
- OROP: Ex-servicemen say govt short changing them, dismiss its proposal
An accused of the serial bomb blasts in Pune last year has claimed torture by Maharashtra anti-terror squad (ATS).
Bunty alias Shabbir Shaikh Jahagirdar has filed a handwritten application before the special MCOCA court, which has, while remanding him in judicial custody till February 25, asked ATS to reply.
Bunty's lawyer A B Jahagirdar said he would move Bombay High Court seeking action against officers who allegedly tortured his client.
Bunty has alleged ATS officers would tie him to a table, blindfold and give electric shocks to his ears and genitals, making him bleed. He claimed receiving such shocks on five occasions. Bunty also accused ATS officers of warning him not to disclose the alleged torture to the court or medical officers. They also allegedly threatened to implicate him in the Delhi and Bangalore blast cases if he did.
Bunty, who is lodged in Arthur Road Jail, has demanded he be sent to a government hospital for treatment. ATS chief Rakesh Maria said the accusations were "baseless and concocted". "It has become a standard procedure for terror accused to make such allegations. As per guidelines laid down by Supreme Court, the accused was sent for medical examination every 48 hours while in our custody. He was also allowed to meet his lawyer but did not make the allegations then."