Punjab announces crushing season, new cane prices soon
- Mulayam asks teaching assistants to vote SP, EC sees a 'violation'
- BJP relents to Chandrababu Naidu's demands, alliance likely to continue
- Azam Khan threatens to move Supreme Court, slams EC's relief to Amit Shah
- PMO defends Manmohan Singh, says GDP has grown three times during UPA rule
- IPL 7: Maxwellâs 43-ball 95 helps KXIP chase 206
Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Monday gave approval to start cane crushing from November 25 for 2012-13 season, an official release said. However, the state may announce the cane price in the next one week.
"The decision with regard to announcing State Advisory Price (SAP) for sugarcane for current crushing season is likely to be taken this week," a senior official of Punjab Cane department told PTI.
Badal is expected to decide the cane rate in a meeting of the Sugarcane Control Board this week in which representatives of cane growers and private sugar mills will also participate, the official said, adding that the intention of the state government while fixing the fresh rate will be to discourage the farmers in the state from selling sugarcane in neighbouring Haryana.
The Haryana government has already proposed a hike of up to Rs 20 per quintal in cane rates for 2012-13 season, which is currently higher than the rates of Uttar Pradesh and Punjab, an official of Haryana Sugarcane department said.
Punjab paid Rs 230 per quintal for early varieties, Rs 225 for mid maturing varieties and Rs 220 for late maturing varieties for 2011-12 season.
Notably, the cooperative sugar mills in Punjab are still to clear the arrears of Rs 30-32 crore to sugarcane growers for 2011-12 season, the official said.
- Khushpreet murder: Court holds 3 accused guilty
- Youth shot at, bullet still lodged in body
- Anti-incumbency strong, Akali SOS to BJP: send Modi
- Ahmedabad ‘dressmaker’ has designs on Modi’s style
- RSS launches statewide campaign for 100% turnout, no mention of Modi
- Movie on Modi released statewide, Cong cries foul