Punjab cops guard religious leaders, industrialists...
- India to grow at 7.5 per cent in 2016, faster than China: IMF
- Lalu Yadav, Amit Shah booked for 'Narbhakshi', 'Chara chor' comments
- Nehru's niece returns Sahitya Akademi Award, questions PM's silence on 'reign of terror'
- Delhi MLAs may get 400 per cent hike in salary
- American Airlines plane makes emergency landing after pilot dies mid-flight
A few months ago Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal, who is also Punjab's Home Minister, asked the police to withdraw 3,200 personnel from VVIP security.
As a result, now 5,500 policemen have been deployed to guard more than 350 'official VVIPs'.
These include Z-plus category VVIPs like Governor Shivraj Patil, Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and his son Sukhbir, former CM Amarinder Singh, Revenue Minister Bikramjit Singh Majithia, DGP Sumedh Singh Saini, Anti Terrorist Front chairman M S Bitta.
Ponty Chadha's family was provided with 11 gunmen. The other beneficiaries include Haryana's Chautala family, Anurag Thakur, who is an MP and son of Himachal Pradesh CM Prem Kumar Dhumal, SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar, Divya Jyoti Jagran Sansthan chief Ashutosh Maharaj, Radha Soami Satsang Dera Beas chief Baba Gurinder Singh, one of the family members owning the Sonalika Group, president of Delhi unit of SAD(B) Manjeet Singh GK, Akali leader Avtar Singh Hit, former MLAs, constituency incharges of the SAD, BJP, Shiv Sena, a few industrialists from Ludhiana, Jalandhar and Amritsar, and some journalists.
"All these 'VVIPs' have been given security on the basis of threat perception,'' said a police official. Besides, Cabinet Ministers and ministers of state rank have also been provided police protection.