Punjab gangrape victim kills self after cop inaction
- Why Germanwings flight A320 might have crashed over the French Alps
- Indian Navy surveillance aircraft crashes in Goa; two officers missing
- Section 66A: 21 individuals whose petitions changed the system
- Government is willing to compromise on land bill: Venkaiah Naidu
- A little reminder: No one in House debated Section 66A, Congress brought it and BJP backed it
A month after she was allegedly gangraped, an 18-year-old girl committed suicide at Badshahpur village in Patiala district on Wednesday. The victim left behind a suicide note claiming that she was being harassed. She consumed some poisonous substance at her house and succumbed at a nearby hospital.
On November 13, the victim was allegedly kidnapped by Balwinder Singh and Gurpreet Singh of Baras village and taken to a tubewell belonging to one Sandeep Singh of Brahamanmajra village. The accused drugged the girl, repeatedly raped her and abandoned her.
Following her suicide, the police on Thursday arrested the three accused. Ghagga SHO Gursharan Singh, who had initially refused to register an FIR, Samana DSP Harpreet Singh and ASI Nasib Singh have been suspended.
According to her family, the police did not initially want to register an FIR and instead, asked the victim insensate questions when she went to file a complaint. Ghaggha SHO finally registered the FIR on November 27. Her sister said that the accused had been threatening the victim. On November 29, the family shifted to Samana. However, the accused intimidated them there as well, the family alleged. "It's shocking that the police have arrested the accused only after she is dead," said her mother.